As a general introduction to marketing, I would recommend
Kotler on Marketing: How to create and dominate markets – you can obtain a review from the articles list.
As a lawyer, accountant or professional you may wish to look at a book that focuses more on professional firms in which case I would recommend the following books:
‘Marketing for Lawyers’
– Matthew Moore
– Gazette Practice Handbooks (0-948736-04-6)
‘Marketing Professional Services – A Handbook’
– Patrick Forsyth
– Financial Times/Pitman Publishing (0-273-03849-4)
‘Client Management for Solicitors’
– John H Freeman
– Cavendish Publishing Limited (1 85941 039 1)
‘Media Relations for Lawyers’
– Sue Stapely
– The Law Society (1 85328 291 X)
– Martin Davies
– Legal Practice Handbook Blackstone Press Limited (1 85431 3762)
‘Marketing Communications for Solicitors’
– Mark Oglesby
– Cavendish Publishing Limited (1-874241-19-8)
‘Professional Services Marketing’
– Neil A Morgan
– Butterworth Heineman (0-7506-0090-X)
‘Practice Development – Creating the Marketing Mindset’
– Riskin and McKenna
– Butterworths (0 409 80636-6)
‘Marketing Professional Services’
– Philip Kotler and Bloom
– Prentice Hall Inc (0-13-557620-2)
There is a detailed list of appropriate selling books in my book on Dynamic practice development – Selling skills and techniques for the professions.
I do not restrict access to the FAQs but I politely request that you let me know by email and acknowledge the source (www.kimtasso.com) if you wish to use the material anywhere.
As always, if there are particular topics you would like me to address in the future, please let me know. You will also find a source of more and up to date information on a broad range of management and marketing issues in the professions by checking out the blog where I also post regular reviews of books that might be helpful.