There are many frequently asked questions (faq) about marketing, management, selling and business development in the professions. I attempt to answer some of them here and provide signposts to relevant material on the site.
I do not restrict access to the FAQs but I politely request that you let me know by email and acknowledge the source (www.kimtasso.com) if you wish to use the material anywhere.
As always, if there are particular topics you would like me to address in the future, please let me know. You will also find a source of more and up to date information on a broad range of management and marketing issues in the professions by checking out the blog where I also post regular reviews of books that might be helpful.
FAQ: December 2013
- How do I establish a Key Account Management (KAM) programme?
- How can a lawyer become more effective at business development?
- How can I improve my pricing strategy?
- Why should a tax adviser use social media?
FAQ: July 2013
- What’s Google+ and why should I use it?
- Why is project management important for the professions?
- How do I integrate social media into my business development?
- What is emotional intelligence (EQ) and why is it important?
FAQ: January 2013
- How can I improve the quality and effectiveness of my business plan?
- How can I improve the effectiveness of secondments?
- What does it take to be a great conference chair?
- How can I improve my cross-cultural communication?
- How are lawyers, accountants and surveyors using social media in a more advanced way?
FAQ: July 2012
- What is NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) and how might it be useful to me?
- How can lawyers reshape their skills and careers to take advantage of the changes in the legal market?
- Have the professions missed the mobile revolution by failing to grasp the opportunities of App technology?
- What is the impact of technology on marketing?
- How can I improve my targeting of new business?
- How can I improve the effectiveness of my persuasive writing for marketing and selling purposes?
- What is thought leadership and why is it so important for lawyers, accountants and surveyors?
- Why should lawyers, accountants, surveyors and other professionals devote time to blogging?
FAQ: October 2011
- How do I improve my rankings in the legal directories?
- Is social media relevant for lawyers, accountants and surveyors?
- What is the best way for barristers to promote themselves?
- How do I improve my web sites performance in the search engines (SEO)?
- How do I ensure a successful sales meeting?
- What is a value proposition or USP – and how do I create one?
- What do I do with only a limited marketing budget?
FAQ: July 2010
- How do I market to high net worth individuals?
- How do I cultivate a culture of good client relationship management?
FAQ: March 2010
- What are the essential elements of a law firm web site?
- What is inbound marketing?
- How can I improve my active listening skills?
- How can I improve my persuasion skills?
FAQ: November 2009
FAQ: July 2009
- Why should a law, accountancy or surveying practice use Twitter?
- How do I use Twitter?
- What can a young lawyer do to support business development within the firm?
- What can I do to beat stress?
FAQ: June 2009
- How do I prepare and facilitate a perfect client and prospect lunch?
- What is CRM And how do I start?
- How do I avoid complacency in client relationship management?
FAQ: April 2009
- How do I beat commoditisation and promote innovation in my law firm?
- What are the top tips to improve client relationship management?
- What practical steps can I take to improve client relationships?
- How do I get partner buy-in?
- What is great leadership?
- What are the trends for marketing careers in the professions?
- How do I remember names more effectively?
FAQ: July 2008
- How do you close a sale?
- What are the most appropriate selling frameworks or models for professional firms?
- What makes an effective blog?
- What is creativity and how do I increase mine?
FAQ: July 2007
- How do I deal with difficult partners?
- How do I establish a training and development programme in my property business?
- How can busy partners create space to devote to growing the business?
- Why is marketing planning so difficult in a professional service firm?
- What about brands in the property industry?
FAQ: December 2006
- What books should someone read if they are starting out in professional services marketing?
- How do I run an internal marketing focus group (e.g. a sector group)?
- What are the most effective methods of promoting wills, trust and probate services?
- How can I increase the strength of my relationship with referrers and intermediaries?
- What are the main strategies for promoting litigation services?
- How do I tackle profiling for my key client management programme?
FAQ: December 2005
- Will business development and marketing converge or compete?
- How do you increase motivation for marketing and business development?
- How do you market personal tax services?
- How can I write articles that raise our profile and generate interest?
FAQ: December 2004
- How can I measure marketing effectiveness and return on investment?
- How do I develop a marketing budget?
- What is the difference between marketing and business development?
FAQ: December 2003
- What is the role of a young lawyer in marketing his or her firm?
- Why should (young) lawyers be interested in marketing?
- How can I market my personal injury practice?
- How can coaching help partners improve their business development performance?
- Why is marketing in the property sector behind the legal and accounting sectors?
- What is the secret of effective cross-selling?
FAQ: August 2002
- What is CRM and why is it important to professional firms?
- Are brands relevant to the professions?
- I know business and marketing strategy are linked – but what am I supposed to do about it?
- How can non verbal communication (body language) improve my marketing and personal effectiveness?
- We have never done any client research – where do we start?
FAQ: July 2001
- How do I generate more property litigation work?
- What is the difference between marketing to businesses and marketing to consumers?
- How can I be a more effective networker?
FAQ: September 2000
- Do I need a web site?
- What is the impact of technology on marketing?
- How can I improve our success rate at competitive tenders?
FAQ: May 2000