In a recent exercise with the Open University (where I did my MBA many, many years ago) I was asked the questions “What is a blog?” and “Why do people blog?”. They found it such a useful discussion that they asked me to film the main points and the result is a short video (less than three minutes) which you might find helpful.
The main points covered are:
- You write about something that interests you. So you blog for the intrinsic pleasure of it
- To share ‘profound thoughts’.
- To share the profound thoughts of a colleague.
- It’s easy to do. Self-publishing has come of age.
- Social media lets you get your message out to a huge network.
- Easily shared content starts a conversation.
- You connect with new people.
- It helps with Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) – that’s the whole inbound marketing debate
They also produced a rather splendid mind map diagram of the reasons
Some related blogs on blogging that might be of interest:
I do not restrict access to the FAQs but I politely request that you let me know by email and acknowledge the source (www.kimtasso.com) if you wish to use the material anywhere.
As always, if there are particular topics you would like me to address in the future, please let me know. You will also find a source of more and up to date information on a broad range of management and marketing issues in the professions by checking out the blog where I also post regular reviews of books that might be helpful.