Video in the marketing mix – Legal video awards and trends for 2015Posted on: December 22, 2014
A couple of months ago, as one of the judges on Legal IT Insider’s Legal Industry Video Awards 2014, I had the privilege of watching over 50 videos from law firms and their technology providers. The winners can be viewed here: http://www.legaltechnology.com/latest-news/the-legal-industry-video-awards-the-winners-showreel/ Well done to the winners and runners up.
For those looking at integrating video in the marketing mix, I thought I’d share my top ten observations:
- Grab attention – Within the first few seconds. Make an impact.
- Use music – Be bold in your choice and avoid tired, safe options.
- Blend styles – Great photography, clever captions, smart voiceovers, artful animations and even research.
- Tell a story – Draw the audience in so that they watch until the end. Have clear messages.
- Use humour – It’s amazing what a difference it makes. Add warmth and entertainment.
- Don’t clutter – Whilst the drawing technique is good, don’t cram too much on a screen.
- Size matters – Most material is viewed on smartphones, keep it big.
- Interact – Give your audience a chance to choose their own path through your material.
- Integrate – Signpost other material and drive traffic to your web site.
- Dare to be different – Too many videos look and sound the same. Don’t be dull.
The nice people over at mmadigital (https://www.mmadigital.co.uk/ a digital marketing agency dedicated to helping law firms which was founded in 2012 by former Yell executive Dez Derry) were kind enough to share some statistics and their insights into the top trends for video in 2015:
- Socialfresh.com says that videos on a website landing page increase conversions by 86%.
- Figures from Google on YouTube content in December 2014 showed that people chose to spend nearly one billion minutes watching the top 10 ads on YouTube this year.
- According to Dr James McQuivey of Forrester Research, one minute of video has the value of 1.8 million words
- ComScore, which measures online engagement and use, says more than 45% of internet users view at least one video online over the course of a month.
- A Forbes survey of executives found 75% watch work-related videos on business websites at least once a week, with 50% watching on YouTube. It’s clear that this is working as figures state 65% visited the marketer’s website after viewing a video.
- Retention of information is strong by video too, the Online Publishers Association statistics suggest 80% remember a video ad from the last 30 days and 46% of those took action after viewing it.
Trends for 2015:
- Infographic video Infographics have become hugely popular and these can be animated to create informative, visual and easy to absorb films. In addition, the stats that you use in your videos can help support your content marketing and PR strategies by creating a white video
- Explainer videos These are set to be a big part of creating relevant, useful content and can be hugely important for law firms in both business-to-business (B2B) communications and consumer-led (B2C) marketing. With more law firms offering business services solutions, explainer videos on a dedicated YouTube channel or that of your video creator will become essential.
- Video blogs It’s becoming more and more important to create a personal, relevant and useful experience for a customer. With the wearable device market set to become huge in 2015, people can and are becoming more choosy about the brands they interact with or want to receive updates from.
See how the top 200 law firms in the country compare in terms of their web offer at www.comparemyfirm.co.uk, a new tool launched by mmadigital. For further information, please contact: www.mmadigital.co.uk 0161 452 0311 Twitter: @mmadigitaluk LinkedIn.com/company/mmadigitaluk
- Current and future trends in web technology
- D&AD’s “The Art of Art Direction Masterclass” with Alexandra Taylor
- Lawyers, agents and media on international communications in real estate
- Book Review: Valuable content marketing by Sonja Jefferson and Sharon Tanton
- Work Update - Kim Tasso clients and assignments
- Strategy and Planning
- What is the impact of technology on marketing?
- Future trends – technology perspectives from Ian Pearson of Futurizon
- Marketing strategy for personal injury lawyers at MASS conference
- Legal marketing case study: Irwin Mitchell combines DR advertising, online promotion and brand building
- Why is project management important for the professions?
- How do I integrate social media into my business development?
- 6 trends for marketers to watch – Compliance, video, creativity, social business, crowdsourcing and big data
- Withers’ double win - A cracking demonstration of superb law firm marketing AND a tour de force on legal pitfalls in social media
- Property marketing case study – Will Wright at White Space: Branding and video seeding
- Property marketing case study – Kurt Özfıçıcı at Fresh01 on virtual tours, drones, Google glasses and projection mapping
- Up to speed in digital marketing and social media (session summary)
- Property marketing case study – Video at Knight Frank, Berwin Leighton Paisner and Estates Gazette
- Property marketing case study – CBRE at MIPIM with bears and bulls video and social media
- Property marketing: Trends and challenging convention (Summary of EG Property Marketing summit speech)
- Marketing in a digital world – Conscious Solutions seminar review
- Legal Marketing Technology Case Studies – Highlights from Conscious Solutions “Marketing in a digital world”
- BOOK REVIEW: Mastering story, community and influence: How to use social media to build your tribe By Jay Oatway
- Digital PR case study – BDO accountants “Service2020: Megatrends for the decade ahead” and local government social media campaign
- Digital marketing and social media in the legal sector update – Law Society and The Lawyer
- Book review: Understanding Digital Marketing – Marketing strategies for engaging the digital generation by Damian Ryan Third Edition (Kogan Page)
- Book Review: Understanding Digital Marketing – Marketing strategies for engaging the digital generation (Damian Ryan and Calvin Jones)
- Visual identities, colours and hedgehogs
- Social Media for Lawyers
- 10 steps to create a business development campaign
- Hubspot’s guide to building a content strategy
- Law firm web site benchmark from Draw
- Developing a private client practice – 10 insights (July 2017)
- Impact of technology on marketing
- Search Engine Optimisation SEO – An update
- Book - Social Media in Business Development and Relationship Management: A Guide for Lawyers
- Getting to grips with Instagram marketing in professional services
- Help your lawyers understand and engage with social media effectively
- Legal marketing case study: Social media in business development and relationship management: A guide for lawyers by Kim Tasso (Book review)