Back in April I summarised Hubspot’s “Practical Guide to Killer Marketing Content” – http://kimtasso.com/hubspots-a-practical-guide-to-killer-marketing-content. There’s a new version out now called “A practical guide to building a killer content strategy” which you can download for free http://offers.hubspot.com/a-practical-guide-to-building-a-killer-content-strategy
Here’s a summary of the key points on content strategy:
1. Create buyer personas
- Who are they?
- What problems they are trying to solve?
- What do they need most?
- What information are they searching for?
(there’s a useful template included)
2. Identify the buying cycle
- Research and education
- Comparison and validation
- Map your content
3. Build an editorial calendarUse Google calendar
- Work backwards from your marketing goals
- Log topic, title, date, format (blog, e book, webinar etc)
- Note SEO keywords and Calls To Action
- Use dates as a hook
- Look for opportunities to repurpose/recycle content
You might also like to look at the following blog posts on related subjects:
More recently, there has been a move towards a pyramid strategy for content strategy and management – which fits well in a thought leadership campaign – where there is hero, hub and hygiene content.